School Card Senior

Students enrolled in full-time upper secondary education in Örebro County who were born in 1999 (academic year 2018/2019) or later are eligible for a School Card Senior (Gymnasiekort). The School Card Senior can be used for the student’s entire upper secondary education, up to and including the first half of the calendar year the student turns 20. The School Card Senior is loaded with a ticket for the whole academic year and is a document of value. If the student stops his/her studies, the card must be returned to the school immediately.

The ticket on the School Card Senior is valid:


  • only for the student the School Card Senior was issued to
  • Monday-Friday (excluding public holidays) 04:30-19:00 – the last train or bus change must be no later than 19:00
  • for travel on all regional and city buses within Örebro County
  • for travel by bus across the county border to:
    • Grängesberg on route 361
    • Götlunda on route 321
    • Arboga on route 351
    • Kristinehamn on route 500
    • Filipstad on routes 400 and 407
    • Storfors on route 403
  • for travel by train (not SJ Snabbtåg) within Örebro County and across the county border to:
    • Grängesberg with Tåg i Bergslagen
    • Kristinehamn (not SJ)
    • Ludvika with Tåg i Bergslagen
    • Skinnskatteberg with Tåg i Bergslagen
  • for a whole academic year: 15 August 2018 – 14 June 2019
  • with properly filled in information on the backside
    • the school that the student attends
    • student's first and last name
    • student's date of birth (YY-MM-DD)

The image shows the front of the card    The image shows the back of the card

The images shows the front and the back of the School Card Senior.


Register your journey on the School Card Senior

For the ticket to be valid for travel, on each journey the card must be held against the ticket reader on the bus. When the smiley face symbol appears in the display and it lights up green, your journey has been registered and you are free to board. On buses without ticket readers, the card must be shown to the bus driver.

When travelling by train, the journey must be registered in the yellow validator on the platform before travelling.

Lost or faulty School Card Senior?

If you have lost your School Card Senior (Gymnasiekort) or it has been stolen, contact the school office. You will have to pay for travel to and from school yourself until a new School Card Senior can be arranged. The same applies if you leave your School Card Senior at home in the morning or at school. Find out more about how to buy a single ticket here.


You can get a new School Card Senior for a service charge which varies from school to school. The old School Card Senior will be blocked so that it can no longer be used.


If the card is broken or damaged in some other way so that it can’t be used, it should be replaced immediately. Just contact your school office for a replacement. Until a new School Card Senior has been arranged, you pay for your journeys yourself. 

School Card Senior for a new academic year

About to start at upper secondary school, or change to a new upper secondary school in the next academic year? If so you will receive a School Card Senior (Gymnasiekort) during your first few days at the school. Until you receive your School Card Senior, you can travel on the temporary travel pass sent to you with your admission notification. Remember that you must print out the temporary travel pass for it to be valid for travel.


If you are returning to the same upper secondary school the next academic year, you should keep your School Card Senior over the summer. When school begins in the autumn, you will get a new School Card Senior, but you have to use the old one until you get your new card.


Lost the School Card Senior during the summer?

If you lose your School Card Senior during the summer, you can pick up a new card from the school office. You will have to pay a service charge when you collect the new School Card Senior and you will also have to pay for your journeys until you have your new card.

A temporary School Card Senior

A temporary School Card Senior (Tillfälligt Gymnasiekort) can be issued by upper secondary schools to students if they need to travel to and from school outside of school hours. This could be for events such as a school open day held in the evening or at the weekend.

The temporary School Card Senior can be used:

  • Monday-Friday (excluding public holidays) from 19:00 until services end that day
  • at any time on weekends and public holidays
  • in the same geographical area as a School Card Senior

A temporary School Card Senior is valid on the same buses and trains as a standard School Card Senior and is valid for one day. It is only valid together with your School Card Senior and matching Validity Certificate. You must show the temporary School Card Senior to the bus driver or on-board staff.

You can obtain a temporary School Card Senior from the school, which orders them from our Customer Service. 

Ticket inspections and surcharges for upper secondary students

We have ticket inspectors who regularly check tickets on our buses. If you travel with a non-valid School Card Senior that does not meet the rules on travelling with a School Card Senior, a ticket inspector may by law (1977:67) issue a surcharge of SEK 1000. You will also have to pay a service charge and the price of a single fare for the journey. If the School Card Senior is misused, you the student will not receive the card back. Instead you will have to pay to travel to and from school yourself for the remainder of the academic year.


Remember the following during a ticket inspection:

  • The School Card Senior must always be presented to the ticket inspector. 
  • The School Card Senior must be completed correctly before the ticket inspection.
  • Special photo ID must be presented as evidence that the School Card Senior is yours.
  • The School Senior ticket on the card must be valid for the journey in question.


Further information on ticket inspections can be found here.


Confiscated School Card Senior

If you have not signed your School Card Senior properly, your School Card Senior may be confiscated. This means you will have to collect it from our Customer Service at the Länstrafiken Customer Center, Örebro Travel Center. Bring the receipt issued by the ticket inspector along with valid photo ID. If a School Card Senior is misused it will not be returned.


You may have to wait one working day before your School Card Senior is available to collect from our Customer Center, and we will not reimburse any expenses caused by confiscating the card.